17 Best Off Road Tires Reviews for Jeeps and Trucks
Off-roading takes you away from the confines of traditional travel and sets you out on unchartered territory. There is nothing more thrilling than driving over unsurfaced roads and seeing the mud, dirt, and gravel fly all around you.
To be sure you are safe and your jeep or truck can handle rough roads, you need the best tires you can possibly afford. This is not the time to go budget! Off-roading is all about adventure and being able to go wherever you like without having to worry about getting stuck.
Here, we will be discussing the best off road tires reviews so you will be an informed buyer who is prepared to purchase. We give you all the nitty-gritty details and help you understand why your tire choice is so important for off-roading.
What Are Off-Road Tires?
Whether you are new to off-roading or an old pro, it never hurts to learn. It is important you understand what makes the Best off road tires before you even start the process of purchasing.
As you likely know, the main reason you have tires on your Jeep or truck is to grip the road and give you traction. While traction is important in day-to-day driving, it becomes even more important while off-roading.
Off-road tires are meant to take you off the beaten path. They provide a strong level of grip an average set of tires simply cannot. These tires can handle boulders, rocks, gravel, mud, sand, and snow and still allow you to keep the highest level of traction.
Driving on irregular services can be too much for a standard set of tires. Off-road tires are much more rugged and their tread pattern allows them to transverse all types of paths, even if the path is not steady.
Determining the best tires for off roading begins with having a clear understanding of why these tires are so essential. The following are just some of the reasons you should install off-road tires before you plan to drive those crazy trails and backwoods.
- They can help keep your jeep or truck from flipping because your tires are not getting a good grip.
- They will prevent your vehicle from sliding on loose gravel and rocks.
- They help to keep you steady on the most dangerous of paths.
Yes, slipping and sliding around on mud trails and other paths is fun, but it is important you remain in control of the chaos. With bad tires, you could find yourself sliding around so much you flip your jeep or truck and this is something no adventurer wants to have happen. The right tires will balance safety with your fun.
_Our Selections of 7 Best Tires For Off Road Use Compared!_
33 x 1250R20
_Best Off Road Tires Reviews for Jeeps and Trucks_
We have put these tires to the test and conducted countless hours of hard research to ensure we came up with our top 17 list. This was exhaustive, yet enjoyable work. No jeep or truck owner wants to waste hours purchasing the right tires to see them through their off-roading adventures. We hope the following reviews will give you all the information you need for choosing the right one for your vehicle.
#1) Federal Couragia M/T Mud Terrain Radial Tire- One of Best off road tires for jeep & Truck
If you are looking for the ultimate off-road tire, this Federal Couragia is tops. This is one of the best off road truck tires we tested and we were very pleased with the results. Just looking at the tire shows how much grip it can offer.
The deep pockets of tread and the aggressive pattern proved to be ideal for all the driving conditions we put them through.
These tires have been specially engineered to shake off foreign substances that could make you lose traction. Ever gotten too much gravel in your tread? If so, you know how it can cause you to slide around and lose road grip, even when you are driving on a prepared road.
The Federal Couragia offers the perfect measurements for most jeeps and trucks and is even ideal for lifted trucks. This 33x12.5R20 114Q tire gives you the full grip you need, whether you are heading up to the mountains or mudding at your favorite spot. We honestly could not believe the level of performance they offered.
This tire surprised us because we often regret leaving our off-road tires in place for normal driving because they are so loud. It is almost like they slap against the pavement, and that can be annoying on a long drive.
These tires were extremely quiet, even though they have one of the most aggressive tread patterns I have ever witnessed. If you drive off-road whenever you get the calling, this is likely the tire you are going to want to have installed because it handles off-roading and normal driving beautifully.
- Offers 2 and 3 ply sidewalls
- Offers an aggressive tread pattern
- Offers a high tread ply rating
- Offers a unique tread pattern
- Offers a combo of large stepped and siped lugs
- The aggressive lug pattern keeps the tires stable on all types of terrain, including mud and sand.
- These tires are self-cleaning so they are able to expel rocks and mud as you drive.
- These Couragias offer a much quieter ride on pavement than other off-road tires do.
- They make your jeep or truck look amazing.
- They may need to be aligned by a shop that specializes in off-road tires.
#2) Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire -
If you are not familiar with Hankook tires, make sure to continue reading so you can learn more about what they offer. At first glance, there are a couple of unique features you will notice with these tires.
When you read Off road tires reviews, you are bound to come across many that talk about a wraparound tread pattern. Hankook is one tire company that delivers beautifully on this concept.
The pattern that extends to the sidewalls not only helps keep your Jeep, truck, or van stable while driving on all types of terrain, but it also looks amazingly cool. We got so many compliments while trying these tires and everyone loved how they looked and performed.
If you drive a lot on wet roads, you will appreciate the two-step sipes that form deep pockets of tread pattern. These not only increase your vehicle’s performance on wet surfaces, but they also help to keep your tires performing at a high level of durability for much longer.
The four-ply construction of these tires is impressive and means they are in it for the long haul. No matter what you throw under these tires, they will keep outperforming much of their competition.
If you have experienced cornering issues with other tires, those problems will be almost obsolete when you install these Hankooks. The tiered side grooves make them much more reliable for cornering on off-road terrain.
- Offers an aggressive wraparound tread
- Offers tiered side grooves
- Offers 7-8% wider footprint
- Offers four-ply construction
- Offers tread-wear indicators
- The aggressive tread pattern keeps you on track, even when you go off it.
- The innovative design helps you remain in control while cornering so your steering stays steady.
- These tires offer stone ejectors that prevent rocks and gravel from blocking your lug spaces.
- The puncture-resistant construction helps you to avoid tire damage and prolong the life of the tires.
- They can be a little noisy on pavement.
#3) OTR 350 Mag ATV/RTV/UTV Off-Road Tires- One of the Best Off road tires for ATV
We would be remised to leave out the best ATV tires because who does not love off-roading in these fun vehicles? Often, we take our truck up to the mountains and bring along our ATV for added fun.
Just as with your truck and jeep, off road tires are essential if you are going to be riding off pavement. These tires are rugged enough to get you over any landscape with ease.
These “stubby” off road tires are ideal for off-roading because of their unique tread pattern. The close-knit geography of the tires allows you to speed over gravel, sand, snow, and even smaller boulder terrain.
The height of this tire is twenty-five inches and the surface tread is seven inches wide. This tire will fit a 10 rim. OTR is a name synonymous with quality and they are a trusted tire supplier for all types of ATV owners.
This tire has a 6-ply rating which means it is going to be able to stand up to a lot of wear and tear without becoming damaged on the side walls. These tires are easy to mount and many ATV owners mount them themselves with very little effort. If you prefer, a tire shop can mount them for you.
- Offers the perfect size tire for most ATVs
- Offers an aggressive and unique tire tread pattern
- Perfect for off-road driving
- Offers a 6-ply rating for strength
- Offers steady control and stability
- The aggressive tread pattern always helps to keep your ATV stable, and on all types of terrain.
- The six-ply construction means these tires are going to be durable and stand up to all types of abuse.
- These tires are easily installed without professional help.
- The rated load capacity for this tire is 1675@10 MPH.
- This does not come with the rim.
#4) Westlake SL369 All-Season Radial Tires
If you are looking for a tire that will allow you to keep a solid grip on and off the road, this Westlake SL369 is the one. The independent shoulder blocks help to protect your braking ability and provide all-season traction.
While the tread pattern is not as aggressive as some off road tires, these provide plenty of traction when you need it most.
We were really impressed with the max flange shield because it helps to keep your rims from becoming scratched and dinged. No truck or jeep owner wants their rims scraped up after they have spent a lot of money purchasing the very best.
Being able to move from the highway to off-road without changing tires is one of the biggest benefits of these Westlake tires. Most jeep and truck owners do not want to have to change out their tires every time they decide to go off-roading.
You will be able to take these tires on rides in dry or muddy terrain. They are ideal for moderate terrains of all types. These 6-ply tires are made to last and will hold up to the abuse you put them through. The tire tread pattern ensures your vehicle stays steady, even when the terrain is anything but.
- Offers the perfect level of aggressive tread for both on and off-road shenanigans
- Offers six-ply strength for durability that lasts
- Offers flange protection to prevent rim scuffs
- Offers integrated blocks that enhance traction
- Offers circumferential grooves that dispel mud, rocks, and water
- The tread pattern is tough enough for off-road, but will also keep you steady on the highway.
- These tires feature a variable pitch tread so they are quieter on the open road.
- These tires feature sipping blocks through the tread pattern for improved road grip.
- This Westlake tire is ideal for all conditions, including dry dirt or mud.
- The tread is not as aggressive as tires meant for bouldering and sand travel.
#5) BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 Radial Tire - One of Best off road jeep tires & for more
If you are looking for the best off road tires for truck, consider these. I must say we were quite impressed with this model because of the CoreGard Technology which offers a lot of benefits to you.
- Splitting and bruise resistance
- Tougher sidewall protection
- Extended shoulder rubber
Bf-Goodrich is a name jeep and truck owners have been relying on for decades. One of the reasons these tires are so amazing is the special rubber BF-Goodrich uses. This specially-produced rubber is chip and split-resistant so that means it is going to stand up to a lot of off-roading abuse and remain strong for many miles.
The advanced tire footprint allows you to stay stable on the highway or a muddy path of fun. With the interlocking tread, you can rest assured your tires are going to remain protective for thousands of miles without the tread beginning to break down and cause slipping.
We were really impressed with the staggered shoulder blocks and put them to the test with some really soft and muddy terrain. Although they kicked up a lot of mud, we did not become stuck throughout our test period.
- Offers a unique rubber that is only found on BF-Goodrich Tires
- Offers an aggressive tire pattern with staggered shoulder blocks
- Offers 3D sipe technology for better traction
- Offers stone rejection and automatic cleanout
- Offers optimally blended tread rubber for reduced chips and tears
- This tire is ideal for both on and off-road riding in all conditions.
- This tire is one of the best off road tires for the money because of its lasting tread.
- We found this BF-Goodrich performed extremely well on both soft and compacted mud.
- This tire fits many Jeep, Ford F-150, Chevy Silverado, and Dodge Ram trucks, among others.
- They are on the expensive side, but remember, you do get what you pay for.
#6) Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tires- Best off road tires for jeep wrangler & more
Goodyear is another tire company that has become a household name for truck and jeep owners. If you are looking for the best off road tires for jeep wrangler, this is the tire for you. These tires offer the right level of tread, at the right price.
This Goodyear Radial Owl tire is meant to stand up to all types of weather and moderate terrains, even those that are rocky. Goodyear has made their tires out of heavy-duty rubber and the construction means these tires are meant to last.
While they are not as impressive on the tread as our number one review, they still pack a punch on the open trail. I would not take them in boulder territories, but they are perfect for rocky and muddy soil and held up well during our testing trials.
The aggressive interlock tread design will even help you drive in snowy or icy conditions. With their innovative design, these tires effectively shuttle water away so you are not in danger of hydroplaning. I personally love the way they looked on my Jeep Wrangler and I believe most Wrangler owners would agree.
- Offers all-terrain grip so you can go highway or trail at will
- The interlock design ushers water away and prevents stone from being embedded
- The heavy-duty construction ensures these tires will last for many miles
- The reinforced rubber construction prevents common types of damage
- These tires provide superior grip on slippery and muddy roads.
- These tires offer enhanced handling so you stay in control.
- The heavy-duty construction means they can resist damage.
- These tires will get you out of messes you put yourself into.
- They are a little louder on the highway than some of the best off road tires.
#7) Cooper Discoverer All-Terrain Radial Tires- Best on road off road tires
When you start talking about the best off road tires, you cannot help but mention Cooper. Cooper is one of the top tire manufacturers in the world and their models just keep getting better and better.
This Discoverer model is one of their most advanced tires to date so we had to pick them up and give em’ a try.
We were first attracted to these tires because of the way they look. These just look amazing when installed on a truck or jeep. If you want to make sure you find the best off road tires for Tacoma, look no further. Your Taco will never look better!
Now, let’s get down to the details. This is one of Cooper’s more advanced mud tires and they are not kidding when they challenge you to get them dirty. These tires feature a 3-ply Armor Tek construction with silica tread compounds that add to the ruggedness and strength. If you love to mud, you can feel confident putting these babies on your ride.
The Cooper Discoverer STT PRO lets you push your truck or jeep to the limits and be able to see what it can really do without hesitation. We tried these out on the back trails on our property and all around the farm. They even proved to be excellent tires for the highway.
- Offers an aggressive 3-2 center rib design
- Offers heavy-duty construction with 3-ply Armor Tek
- Offers side biters that help you plow through the muck
- Offers a distinctive tread pattern that keeps you in control
- Offers an unmatched style
- These tires offer a heavy-duty construction that allows them to hold up to abuse.
- The aggressive tire pattern will easily move you from the highway to back trails.
- The side biters help you to get out of a sticky jam fast.
- The silica tread compound keeps the construction strong and protected.
- Requires in-store installation
#8) Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 Off-Road Tire- Another Best off road truck tires & Jeep
Yes, this is another Hankook tire and there is a reason we have two in our top 17 best off road tire review list. Hankook simply manufacturers some of the best off-road tires on the market and they are one of the names we rely on when we need off-roading tires for our jeeps or trucks on the farm.
As with other models, one of the things we really like about these DynaPros is how the rugged tread wraps around the sidewalls. I cannot tell you how many times I have gotten stuck in the mud because my tire walls were too slick to get me out. These tires eliminate that problem with ease.
We were also impressed with the really deep two-step sipes that really help to extend the life of the tread and keep it gripping the road for thousands of miles. The 8% wider footprint also made a difference and helped my vehicle feel more secure on all types of terrain.
Unless you go mudding every single day, an all-terrain off-road tire is going to be your best bet. These bad boys will help you stay on the road or off the beaten path, whichever you may choose.
On top of everything else, I just really like how these look on my truck!
- Offers a wider footprint tread
- Offers deep two-step sipes
- Offers aggressive grip on-highway and off-road
- Offers a wraparound tread design
- Offers superior water ushering
- These tires fit into the category of the best off road tires for sand.
- This tire’s wraparound tread style makes them ideal for all types of terrain and weather conditions.
- These tires were developed for high-power trucks and are ideal for mudding and off-trail driving.
- The innovative sidewall design enhances the style of your Jeep or truck.
- The white lettering does not last as long as the tires.
#9) Falken Wildpeak All-Terrain Radial Tires
Falken is another name that does not disappoint and these Wildpeaks speak for themselves. These tires are meant to be put under a load and keep on trucking. Falken has designed these tires to keep the inner components as cool as possible which keeps you in control while driving and prevents undue wear and tear.
Falken made sure to create the most rugged tires possible for this model and they succeeded. Their 3D Canyon technology provides an interlocking wraparound tread that provides an aggressive grip on all types of terrain and road conditions.
With an aggressive upper sidewall and the unique off-set shoulder blocks, these tires help with cornering and protect against sharp rocks that could cause damage. These tires maintain their aggressive grip, even when you bring down the tire pressure for off-roading fun.
These Falken tires are especially beneficial in wet conditions and the tread stays strong for thousands of miles. Some have said these tires last them as long as 70,000 miles. While we haven’t driven them that long, they are certainly holding up to that goal.
- Offers off-set shoulder blocks for better cornering
- Offers an aggressive off-road ability
- Offers patented 3D Canyon sipes
- Offers an outstanding wear performance
- Offers qualification from the Rubber Manufacturers Association
- These tires excel in wet conditions and even in mud.
- These tires are designed to perfectly transverse severe snow.
- The rugged tread offers unparalleled performance on the road and off.
- These 4-ply tires are built to last for thousands of miles.
- Need to be professionally installed and balanced
#10) Toyo Tire Open Country Mud Terrain Tires- Best tires for off road and highway
I have to say that these are one of the coolest looking tires I have ever mounted on my truck. The aggressive tread wraps around the sidewalls like a cozy sweater and boy do they perform!
These tires are ideal for lifted full-size trucks so do not purchase them if you have a smaller model because they simply will not work. They are able to carry and support heavy loads which is one of the reasons I wanted to try them.
With the deep pockets of tread, you can go over all types of terrain, including sandy, rocky, and muddy areas without the tires becoming bogged down and refusing to move.
These are M and S rated and they perform just as well on the pavement as they do on muddy paths. Speaking of pavement, they do not slap the ground as hard on the highway, for a quieter ride.
These tires are as tough as nails and they hold up unbelievably. They even got us out of a huge mud puddle that normally would have bogged down my old tires and spit mud everywhere, without getting me anywhere.
Toyo offers one of the best deals on this type of tire, and, honestly, the pictures simply do not do them justice! These are sharp looking and you will love the way they complement the style of your truck. These off road tires are meant to impress and they do.
- Offers a solid and deep tread pattern
- Offers a wraparound tread that helps with control
- Offers a solid construction
- Offers superior load handling
- Offers ideal control in all conditions
- These tires look impressive and the unique design is why many truck owners purchase them.
- This tire is meant to deliver an uncompromised grip on wet and muddy conditions.
- Although they are aggressive off-road tires, they are quiet on the highway.
- These tires shuffle water away and keep you steady, no matter where you are driving.
- Must be professionally installed at a shop.
#11) BF-Goodrich All-Terrain Radial Tires
This is our second BF-Goodrich model on the list because it is a name we have personally relied on for many years. If you are looking for the best off road tires for jeep, look no further than BF-Goodrich and their line of impressive all-terrain tires.
Once again, BF-Goodrich delivers with its CoreGard Technology. They work to create tougher sidewalls that are able to stand up to all types of abuse when you are out mudding or enjoying the wide-open and rocky terrain Mother Nature offers.
When we took these tires out for a ride, you could immediately tell the difference.
I believe these tires feel sturdier and offer a better grip because of their wider footprint. Even a few inches wider footprint can make a big difference in performance and stability.
The stone ejectors are one of the primary reasons I wanted to give these a try. On the farm and off-roading can pack my tires with gravel. Not only does this cause the tread to wear out sooner, but it also dampens the traction I get.
I have to say that these were excellent at diverting stones and I only found a few stuck in the tread versus what I normally would have found with my older set.
- Offers an aggressive tire tread pattern
- Offers wraparound tread
- Made with CoreGard Technology
- Offers a wider footprint
- Offers rock diversion
- These tires give you the ideal level of traction whether you are driving down the highway or in a mud field.
- This tire model features upper sidewall traction bars that are ideal for increased traction in mud and snow.
- The serrated shoulder and staggered blocks not only look cool, but they also are ideal for deep snow and soft off-road conditions.
- These tires exceed ratings put forth by the Rubber Manufacturer Association's Severe Snow Traction Rating.
- Lower tread life than some models.
#12) Fierce Attitude Mud Radial Tires
Where are all my mudding buddies at? If you love to mud, and I know you do, check out these Fierce Attitudes that are made specifically with we mud lovers in mind. What makes these tires so special you may ask?
For one, their ten-ply construction means they are meant to stand up to all the abuse you can throw at them. They are the perfect size at 16x7, but be sure to measure your wheel size before purchasing.
As their name suggests, these tires do seem to have an attitude while they sling mud around. I tried hard to get stuck in the mud, but these tires just wouldn’t let me.
If you have ever driven mud tires on the highway, you know that slap-slap noise that can drive you nuts. These tires are relatively quiet and I could barely hear them above the hum of my engine. If that slap noise grates on your nerves, install these Attitudes and see the difference.
These tires perform really well on rocky terrain and they spit out the rocks instead of letting them become trapped in the tread. This is important for preventing them from becoming bogged down and unstable.
- These tires are 16 X 7
- Offers ten-ply construction
- Offers superior mud handling
- Offers quiet highway driving
- Offers superior rock driving
- These tires look just as good as they perform.
- The ten-ply construction of these tires offers superior handling on all types of terrain.
- The side-wall barbed tread is amazing and lets you corner without compromise.
- The soft compound composition is ideal for towing or carrying heavy loads.
- The tread wears faster when towing.
#13) Federal Couragia M/T Light Truck Radial Tire
I am familiar with Federal tires and have tried them before, but their new technology is what drew me to their Couragias. Although these tires are manufactured with light-duty trucks in mind, they are not lightweights and pack a ton of aggressive tread.
Federal has recently released its new Sloped Radius Gradient tread designs and these are meant to improve tread life and traffic. The unique alignment of the tread ensures you are going to be able to transverse all types of terrain without feeling blocked by mud or other off-road issues.
These off road tires are meant to perform and last. Federal uses advanced tread compounds to ensure the tires are able to resist splitting and chips that can impede performance and make them wear down faster.
Off-road enthusiasts and Jeep or truck owners will love these tires because they are built to be tough. One of the things that really impressed me about these tires is the way they perform while highway driving.
This is a subject that gets talked about a lot, but most off road tires are not going to perform well on flat highways. They will either be too noisy or will ride uncomfortably. We did not notice any major noise with these tires and they handled really well on all types of terrain. Even driving down the Interstate felt nice.
- Offers a unique tread design
- Offers advanced construction
- Resists splitting and chip damage
- Offers superior handling
- Offers a quiet ride
- These tires are designed to ride through all types of abusive terrain without problems.
- This tire is constructed with 2 to 3 ply sidewalls for superior protection.
- These tires are self-cleaning with their stepped and siped lugs.
- They are ideal in snowy, wet weather and offer ideal traction for all types of conditions.
- Not recommended for heavy-duty trucks.
#14) Dick Cepek Extreme Country All-Terrain Radial Tire-
As I have discussed often, you should choose mud tires when you primarily use your Jeep or truck for mudding. If you only occasionally mud or need to drive your vehicle on the highway, you are likely better off purchasing this Dick Cepek Extreme Radial Tire. It is ideal for all driving conditions and types of terrain.
The larger surface area of the tire certainly made a difference in how my ride felt. It felt a lot more stable and I could almost sense the gripping power of the tires.
The unique tread design features notches on the inner and outer lugs for superior traction, even when you are in the snow or mud. Driving in the mud will not get you stuck and you will find your truck or jeep stays steady on
Dick Cepek promises these tires will “bite” and I found this to be true in my test drives. They really bite the road and do not give up, even when things get tough.
Although these are aggressively treaded, they are quiet on the road. I hit up to 80 on the Interstate and they sailed right on with a beautiful hum.
Now, let’s talk driving in the mud. These babies did not disappoint and performed beautifully. I even tried to get them marred down in the mud and couldn’t.
- Offers a larger surface area
- Offers a proven tread compound
- Offers a long tread life
- Offers inner and outer lugs for traction
- Ideal for uneven terrain
- The ride quality with these tires is awesome and provides the highest level of control.
- These tires offer a wraparound tread pattern that is unique to Dick Cepek tires.
- This tire offers responsive handling for easy cornering and off-roading.
- These tires grab the terrain and hold on with all their might.
- Need to be properly balanced when mounting.
#15) Pro Comp Xtreme Radial Tires-
While Pro Comp may not be one of the more well-known tire manufacturers in the world, this does not mean they do not produce an amazing tire. Because I was not very familiar with their tire products, I wanted to research them, try them out, and learn as much as I possibly could.
When it comes to off-road tires, durability is a must and these tires do deliver. Their three-ply construction is impressive and promises to protect against puncture damage that can leave you sidelined in your adventures.
The Pro Comp unique tread compound includes silica and ensures the ideal level of grip on all types of terrains and surfaces, even those not meant for traditional driving. The tread wraps around the shoulders of the tires, giving you added protection that is important if you off-road a lot.
The rim diameter of these is 17 inches and they feature two steel belts and a spiral-wound nylon overlay that offers an extreme level of protection. If you are looking for a sharp and modern mud tire, this is the one for you.
Whether you are driving on slick wet roads or the deepest of mud paths, these tires will hold up and keep you moving without causing you to become bogged down. This tire has a load range of D and 8-ply construction for the best level of durability.
- Offers a silica compound tread
- Offers 8-ply construction with 3 distinct zones
- Offers a unique wrap-around nylon overlay
- Offers a deep wraparound tread pattern
- Offers perfect stability in all conditions
- These tires are manufactured with multiple layers for puncture protection.
- They offer a superior level of handling and load-carrying capacity.
- The aggressive tread drapes the tire shoulders, offering more protection.
- These tires look amazing on Tacomas.
- These drive a little loud on highways once they reach half-tread.
#16) Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Radial Tire-
These tires are made for off-road exploring and every detail has been put in place to keep you safe and having fun on your off-road adventures. Each tire features an extra-deep sipe that helps to increase your level of traction on wet surfaces by safely channeling the water away.
Nitto has come up with an innovative 3D tire tread that tapers for better control when you are in the mud or other sticky terrains. I was really impressed with the way they designed their shoulder grooves. They made sure to carefully reinforce this area without compromising the shoulder stiffness which is so important for mudding and off-roading.
Like many off-road tires, these come equipped with stone ejector technology so you are less likely to pick up stones and have them become trapped in your tread. As you likely already know, gravel is a big problem and when your tread becomes packed with it, you lose a lot of traction and can even see damage start to occur.
These tires are ideal for trucks, jeeps, and even SUVs. They let you go where the road takes you and even off-road for a greater level of fun. I found these tires to be really stable in mud and I didn’t experience any fishtailing or other issues on slick surfaces.
- Offers 10-ply range E construction
- Offers a smooth ride on all types of surfaces
- Offers quiet on the highway
- Offers aggressive handling when off-roading
- Offers an impressive look
- These tires are truly attractive and will make others jealous.
- The aggressive tread will keep you in control even when off-roading in muddy conditions.
- These tires offer a ten-ply construction with rock rejectors.
- This tire is meant to outperform some of the tops names in mud tires.
- May not be able to be mounted on all lifted vehicles -check measurements carefully.
#17) Mickey Thompson Baja All-Terrain Radial Tires
Those who are true mudding enthusiasts have likely heard the name, Mickey Thompson. These tires are crying out for mud, but they will not let it hang around. This Baja model features mud scoops that self-clean and keep the mud out.
I was surprised to learn how flexible these tires were. Anyone who has gone mudding knows how important flexibility is for getting out of muddy situations. These tires certainly deliver in that area.
They feature tread and sidewall decoupling channels that allow these tires to conform to the terrain and keep you moving.
Mickey Thompson has strategically designed and placed their sipes for maximum traction on slippery surfaces and for longer wear. I believe most mudders will appreciate the side biters that are meant to add even more traction in sticky situations.
The construction of this tire features three-ply on all sides. These tough, puncture-resistant walls will be able to stand up to all the types of abuse you put them through. The rugged look of these is just so cool and telling of its performance.
I was truly impressed with the way these sounded on the highway. As most know, high levels of sound get to me and these did not drown out my radio like some. When we took them off-roading, I was even more amazed by the way they performed. There was much less slipping and sliding and no getting stuck like with some tires.
- Offers a self-cleaning traction
- Offers advanced radial construction
- Offers directional side biters
- Offers an aggressive wraparound tread pattern
- Offers a 17-inch rim
- These tires truly do clean themselves of mud. I could barely find a trace in the tread.
- The aggressive tread, sipes, and bites make these tires formidable against all types of terrain.
- These tires were meant for mudding and the advanced radial construction is overly protective.
- They look amazing on trucks and jeeps.
- Highway driving becomes slightly louder as the tread wears.
Types of Off-Roading Tires
When it comes to choosing off-roading tires, there are a couple of types to keep in mind. As a word of caution, never go mudding or off-roading with traditional street tires. Do not ask me why I know this is such a bad idea!
All-Terrain Tires – These tires are capable of both on and off-road performance and they are ideal if you occasionally like to mud, but want to be sure you have a solid tire for street performance and stability on all types of terrain, even slick ones.
This type of tire is going to have multi-directional tread design that allows it to perform well on all terrains. While it is not as rugged as some other types, it certainly holds its own on muddy tracks. These tires are typically going to be labeled with the M+S symbol which simply means they will perform well in all types of weather, including snow and ice.
All-Terrain tires allow you the best of both worlds with a mudding capability and superior street performance. I personally use this type of tire on both my Jeep and work truck.
Mud-Terrain Maximum Traction – If you primarily use your Jeep or truck for off-roading fun, you are going to need an aggressive tire that bites surfaces and keeps you from being bogged down. With the aggressive nature of these tires, you are going to have to sacrifice a little comfort and performance on the streets. I have a truck that is specifically used for mudding and off-roading and this is the best type of tire to purchase.
While many of these tires will be rated with the M+S symbol, this does not mean they are going to necessarily give you the best performance on snow and ice. Some will even allow you to install studs to increase their traction in snow. Many people mistakenly believe these tires will automatically perform well in ice and snow because they have so much traction in the mud, but this is not necessarily the case.
Mud-Terrain Tires vs All-Terrain Tires: Which Are Best for You?
There is often a lot of debate when it comes to choosing between mud-terrain and all-terrain tires. We have briefly delved into this topic here and there throughout this publication, but I believe it is important you have the right information to be able to make an informed purchase. Both have their positives and negatives and both are right for certain driving conditions.
- Know Where You Will Be Driving
Before even considering the two options, you need to know where you primarily drive. Do you spend more time on the highway or are mud trails your home? Knowing where you will be driving the most will help determine if you choose mud-terrain or all-terrain.
- All-Terrain Tires: The Best of Both Worlds?
Most truck and Jeep enthusiasts are going to fall into the category of business during the week and fun on the weekends. If you are a mudder on the weekends and a hard worker during the week, all-terrain tires are likely going to be your best bet.
These tires provide excellent off-roading traction while being respectable on the highway, with not so much noise and a greater level of comfort. This is the type of tire that reminds me of the old mullet hairstyle. Business in the front and party in the back.
All jokes aside, this is the tire that will take you from the highway to the mud trail without needing to change tires. I consider them the best of both worlds. Unless you are an extreme off-roader or mudder, you are going to find this type of tire to give you all the performance and traction you need for both highway and off-road driving.
- Mud-Terrain Tires: Are They Superior?
If you ask any true mudding enthusiast, they are likely going to tell you mud-terrain tires are superior over all-terrain and to a point, they are mostly correct. These tires will out-perform any all-terrain tire when it comes to off-roading, but they do not match the consistency all-terrains offer on the highway.
Mud-terrain tires feature a much more aggressive tread with deeper sipes and wraparound tread on the shoulders and walls. While an all-terrain will hold up in some degree of mud, it will not be able to take you where mud-terrain tires can without getting stuck.
Mud-terrain tires are bulky and impressive and they seem to command respect. Whether you have your truck or jeep lifted or not, these tires will give you that edge that is needed for off-roading fun on all types of terrain.
It all boils down to which driving you are doing more of. If your vehicle is reserved for primarily off-roading fun, then you should choose mud-terrain tires. If you have a mix of highway driving and off-roading, then an all-terrain tire is going to be the way to go.
Whichever you choose, make sure to know your brands and models by carefully researching. The more you know about your options, the better equipped you will be to make the best purchase for your truck, jeep, or SUV.
_Things to Consider Before Purchasing Best Off Road Tires_
This guide would not be complete without giving you every important detail of knowledge on purchasing off road tires. Your tires are going to be one of the most important purchases you make for your truck or jeep. The wrong ones could leave you stranded in a mud hole with no way out. No mudder wants to have to call a tow in shame.
We are here to provide you with the information you need for making the best choice. We have offered you the best of the best off road tire reviews and now we need to make you aware of the things you should consider before making a purchase. With this guide, you will become a master of knowledge regarding off road tires and will be prepared to purchase the perfect pair for your vehicle.
One of the first things you will need to consider when purchasing off road tires is the tire size. Your vehicle’s tire size is important to know before you even start looking at the different brands and models of tires.
Width + Aspect Ratio + Rim = Your Tire Size
You need to know all the above to be able to purchase off road tires. There are a few different places you can check your tire size and they include the following.
- Your owner’s manual
- The inside of the driver’s door
- Your vehicle window sticker
- Your tire (Check your tire for the width, aspect ratio, and rim size)
Without augmentation, you cannot mount a different tire size than what your vehicle requires. When in doubt, make sure to contact your tire professional to check for your proper tire size before placing your order. This will allow you to be sure you are getting the proper size and do not end up having to deal with a return because the wrong size was ordered. Ordering the wrong size can be avoided with just a little information on hand.
Another thing to consider when purchasing off road tires is the tread design. As we discussed above, the better the performance on the street, the worse it will perform in off-roading and vice versa. When choosing a tread design, you will need to make sure you have determined what type of driving you will be primarily doing.
Tread designs are different for all-terrain and mud-terrain tires. If you are looking for killer off-roading fun, a mud tread is the only way to go. Make sure the tread offers stone rejection and is self-cleaning to keep the mud from caking between your sipes and tread channels.